Tennessee Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: 3 1/2 cups
- 2 to 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1medium onion, minced
- 1can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1can (28 ounce) whole tomatoes
- 3/4cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2cup Tennessee whiskey or bourbon
- 1/4cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2tablespoons molasses
- 1tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 2teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2teaspoons black pepper
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4cup orange juice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, vinegar, whiskey, brown sugar, molasses, paprika, chili powder, liquid smoke, salt, black pepper, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and orange juice and mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat as low as possible. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until thick. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or int he freezer for up to 4 months.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Chattanooga, Seasoned to Taste, Savoring the Scenic City (Junior League of Chattanooga 2011)