Tender Blueberry Muffins
- Yield 1 1/2 dozen
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
A perfect breakfast treat or afternoon snack, these muffins are sweet and tender.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 -- eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- -- Turbinado sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place paper liners in 18 (standard size) muffin cups. Lightly spray liners with cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine butter and brown sugar. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Add eggs and beat well. Add extracts, buttermilk and orange rind. (Mixture will seem to separate.) Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin liners (a heaping 1/4 cup per muffin). Place in oven and bake 30 minutes, or until light golden and springy to the touch. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on tops. Cool in pans 15 minutes. Remove and serve warm.