Tempeh with Broccoli, Walnuts and Apples
- Yield 4 servings
The texture of the tempeh blends well with the mild sweetness of the apples and crunch of the walnuts in this vegetarian main dish.
This entree may be served hot or chilled. Try it warm over spinach linguine or angel-hair pasta.
- 2 teaspoons canola or pure olive oil
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh and saute 2 minutes or until browned.
- Add broccoli and continue sauteing 2 minutes, adding a few teaspoons of water to prevent sticking. Add diced apples, gingerroot and walnuts; saute 1 minute. Stir in tamari or soy sauce, cayenne pepper and lemon juice; heat through.