- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A vegan friendly twist, perfect for vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 16 ounces tempeh, diced finely
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Oil for sautéing
- 1 jar pasta sauce (12-ounce)
- Combine all the ingredients, except the oil for sautéing and the pasta sauce, in a large bowl and mix well. Form into ten equal-size balls (think golf ball size) and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh balls and cook until slightly crispy and browned, about 7 minutes, gently flipping to ensure all sides are cooked.
- Lower the heat to simmer, add the tomato sauce, and cook for 5 minutes, gently stirring occasionally.