Tea-Crusted Tofu Over Greens
- Yield 4 servings
A bed of healthy salad greens, tomatoes and pears is topped with pan seared tofu and nuts.
- Green Tea Vinaigrette:
- 2 green tea bags
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 scallion, minced
- Crusted Tofu:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons loose green tea leaves or contents of 2 teabags
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound block tofu, drained on a paper towel and cut into small cubes
- 4 cups baby greens
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 2 Asian pears or bosc pears, cored and cubed
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews, pecans or walnuts*
- To make vinaigrette: Place tea bags in a cup and add boiling water. Let brew 2 to 3 minutes. Discard tea bags and add remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 30 minutes
- To make tofu: Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat; add oil. Add tea leaves, sesame seeds and salt; saute 2 minutes until seeds are golden brown and fragrant. Add tofu and continue to saute 3 minutes until tofu is golden brown.
- Toss together salad greens, tomatoes and pears. Arrange on 4 serving plates. Scatter tofu on each and sprinkle with nuts. Spoon vinaigrette over top and serve.