Tator Tots with Bacon
- Yield 6 servings
A delicious combination of potatoes, bacon, cheese and chives make these tasty little tots.
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho russet potatoes, divided
- 2 ounces bacon, cooked, chopped
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, as needed
- 2 cups flour
- 6 -- eggs, lightly whipped
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- Boil 2 pounds of potatoes. Cool, peel and mash. In a large bowl, combine bacon, cheese, chives, butter, cream, pepper and salt to taste; blend well. Roll into 1-ounce pieces, place on wax paper-lined sheet pan and chill overnight.
- Using a box grater, shred remaining potatoes. Place in shallow bowl.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Roll tater tots in flour to lightly coat then coat in egg. Roll in shredded potatoes to form crust. Return to sheet pan and chill.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil to 375F and fry balls until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel to drain. Season with salt and serve.