Tart Spinach Soup (Schav)
- Yield 6 servings
Schav, a green spinach- or sorrel-based soup, is an authentic Russian recipes. Make it up to 3 days before serving.
- 1 1/2 quarts cold water
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrot coins
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, or 4 cups fresh chopped spinach or sorrel
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- Juice of 1 lemon plus more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped for garnish
- 8 scallions, chopped, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt, for garnish
- Place water, onions, carrots and potatoes in a 5 1/2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 12 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and continue to simmer 5 minutes. Add dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Soup should be tart, and more lemon juice can be added to taste. Cool soup to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Before serving, sprinkle some eggs, cucumbers and scallions on top of each portion. Add a dollop of sour cream.