Tarascan Tomato Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Pureed kidney beans give this soup a rich texture.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 large ancho chiles, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and Anaheim chiles. Saute for 8 minutes or until the onion begins to brown.
- Process the beans and tomatoes in a food processor until smooth. Add to the onion mixture. Add the stock, tomato paste, ancho chiles, oregano and crushed red pepper. Cook for 45 minutes over low heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with chips, sour cream, cheese and scallions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Boston, Boston Uncommon, a Culinary Journey Through Boston’s Distinctive Neighborhoods (The Junior League of Boston, 2007).