Tanya’s Summer Succotash
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2slices thick-cut bacon
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1large Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
- 2cups fresh corn, cut from the cob (about 2 large ears)
- 2cups fresh or frozen lima beans (may substitute canned or cook from dried)
- 2cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2cups sliced fresh okra (about 15-20 pods)
- 2medium tomatoes, diced
- 1teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/4teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 to 2tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Black pepper
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan to cool, leaving about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in pan. Chop or crumble the bacon into bits.
- Add garlic and onions to pan and saute until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes
- Stir in the corn, lima beans and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lima beans are almost tender and liquid has started to reduce, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix in okra, tomatoes and spices. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until the liquid has reduced to a thick glaze, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and butter. Stir until butter has melted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with the crumbled bacon. Serves 2 to 4 as a main course or 6 to 8 as a side dish.
Note: To make this vegetarian: omit the bacon, skip steps one through three, and heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or butter over medium heat to begin step four.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 236
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 14mg
- Sodium 672mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 9g