Tangerine-Maple Glazed Chicken
- Yield: 8 servings
- 5tablespoons canola oil
- 1small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1quart tangerine juice or tangerine-ornage juice, not from concentrate
- 4sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-- tangerine or orange, zested
- 1/4cup pure maple syrup
- 1tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- tteaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 8-- chicken drumsticks
- 8-- bone-in chicken thighs
- -- Salt
- 2-- green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- -- Grilled onions and tangerines, for garnish
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat, add the onion and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the juice and thyme, bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to approximately 1/2 cup, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the syrup, soy sauce and black pepper and let cool to room temperature. Can be made 2 days in advance and brought to room temperature before using. Brush chicken on both sides with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through. Begin brushing with the glaze during the last 5 minutes of grilling.
- Remove to a platter and sprinkle with the green onion. Garnish with grilled citrus.