Tangerine Ice Cream
- Yield 6 cups
- Prep 40 mins
Try this refreshing ice cream on a hot summer day.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- -- Peel of 4 tangerines, freshly grated, divided
- 4 -- egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Early in day; Place milk, 1/2 cup cream, sugar and half of peel in small saucepan; heat over low heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Do not let mixture boil. Cool. In bowl beat egg yolks with cooled milk mixture until combined. Pour into saucepan with remaining cream.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until thickened to consistency of custard. Eggs will cook if mixture becomes too hot. Strain; add remaining peel. Add tangerine juice and 2 teaspoons lemon juice, whisk together; chill. Pour into ice-cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tampa, Inc.’s Tampa Treasures (Tampa, Fl., 1992).