- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Fresh tangerine (or orange) juice makes a refreshing icy dessert.
Tangerines, in peak season this time of year, make this granita (meaning ice in italian), extra flavorful. You can also use orage juice-- either way, use fresh juice for the best flavor.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 cups fresh tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons grated tangerine rind
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil; remove from heat immediately. Add tangerine juice, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice and salt. Stir well. Pour into an 8-cup plastic container.
- Freeze 1 hour; remove from freezer and stir or scrape with a fork to create ice crystals; repeat 3 times. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts by Sherry Yard. © 2003. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.