High Cotton Food Styling & Photography
- Tandoori Marinade:
- 2cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8-- skinless leg-thigh chicken pieces
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise and separated
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
Process 1 cup yogurt and remaining marinade ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in remaining 1 cup yogurt. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
Light a charcoal fire or preheat your gas grill on high. Oil the grate. Let the coals burn down to a medium-hot fire or adjust the gas grill burners to medium-high.
Remove chicken from marinade and place it grill grate. Cook until no longer pink at the bone, about 12 minutes per side, occasionally basting with butter during the last 2 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a platter, top with the onion rings and cilantro, and serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Fred Thompson's Barbecue Nation: 350 Hot-Off-the-Grill, Tried-and-True Recipes from America's Backyard (Taunton Press, 2007).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 261
- Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 150mg
- Sodium 230mg
- Carbohydrate 3g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 36g