Tamale Pie, Lightened-Up
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
This beef tamale dish is great for a crowd.
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) jar thick and chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can creamed style corn
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook meat, onion and garlic, about 8 minutes, until meat is done. Drain any excess grease. Add tomato sauce, salsa, cumin, chili powder and corn. Mix well.
- Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place a quarter of the meat mixture in pan and top with a third of the tortilla strips. Continue layering, ending with meat mixture. Cover and bake 35 to 40 minutes, until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with Cheddar and continue cooking another 5 minutes.