Tamale Pie with Cornmeal Topping
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 to 25 min
- Cook 1 hr
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 can medium sized olives
- 1 1/2 cups medium cheddar cheese
- 2 cups yellow corn meal
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fry crumbled ground beef with diced onion in medium sized cast iron frying pan until lightly browned. Drain fat. Add tomatoes and cut into smaller pieces. Add cans of drained corn and olives. Let simmer while preparing the topping.
- Topping: mix cornmeal, water and salt in a large microwaveable bowl. Cook in microwave on high for 5 min. stirring at least twice during cooking time.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of meat mixture and then spread cornmeal mixture on top of that. Be sure to cover the whole pie with the cornmeal topping.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour until golden brown on top.
This has been a family favorite for 50+ years