Tamale Pie with Cornmeal Topping
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 to 25 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- 1pound ground beef
- 1medium onion
- 1can whole kernel corn
- 1can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1can medium sized olives
- 1 1/2cups medium cheddar cheese
- 2cups yellow corn meal
- 3cups water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Fry crumbled ground beef with diced onion in medium sized cast iron frying pan until lightly browned. Drain fat. Add tomatoes and cut into smaller pieces. Add cans of drained corn and olives. Let simmer while preparing the topping.
- Topping: mix cornmeal, water and salt in a large microwaveable bowl. Cook in microwave on high for 5 min. stirring at least twice during cooking time.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of meat mixture and then spread cornmeal mixture on top of that. Be sure to cover the whole pie with the cornmeal topping.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour until golden brown on top.
This has been a family favorite for 50+ years