Taffy Apple Salad
- Yield: 16 to 24 servings
"My name is Heart, I was married on Valentine's Day, and I live in Hartselle - so this salad is very appropriate for the holiday. I just love this recipe - it is refreshing without being too sweet."
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1 1/2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2pounds Granny Smith apples (about 6 apples)
- 2cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 1/2cups peanuts, optional
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Combine the reserved juice, sugar, vinegar, flour, and the egg in a small saucepan; whisk until well blended. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly using a whisk. Remove from the heat and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Combine the apples, marshmallows, whipped topping, pineapple, and peanuts, if using, in a large bowl. Add the pineapple mixture and toss gently to blend thoroughly.
Recipe by Duaine Heart, Hartselle, Ala.