- Yield: 8 servings
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4ounces portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 (1-ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) bag cheese-flavored nacho chips
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2cups shredded Cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 (2-ounce) can French's Original French Fried Onions
- Cilantro sprigs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic and mushrooms; cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add taco seasoning, salt and pepper; mix well. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nacho chips and chopped cilantro. Mix gently, until chips are coated with sauce.
- Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with Cheddar and French fried onions. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
— Edgar D. Galbraith, Jacksonville, NC