Tabbouleh Salad from Holly Clegg
- Yield 12 to 16 servings
A delicious salad that is low in sodium and high in fiber.
Cracked wheat (bulgur) can be found in specialty stores, health food stores, and many grocery stores. Make this terrific salad ahea to enhance flavors.
- 2 cups cracked wheat (bulgur)
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (vine ripe preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped parsley (flat leaf preferred)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (use less if desired)
- -- Cayenne pepper to taste
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, cover cracked wheat with twice as much hot water. Let stand 45 minutes. Drain excess water and dry wheat as much as possible. Add cucumbers, tomato, parsley and mint. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne, salt and pepper. Toss with dressing.