Swordfish Steaks with Yucatecan Garlic-Spice Marinade
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Grilled fish with a garlicky-spicy marinade.
This marinade is also great on chicken, most any find of fish and thin-cut grilled steaks. It's also an outstanding salad dressing on tomatoes or grilled green beans simply by mixing a little of it with oil and vinegar.
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 6 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks
- 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Drop garlic cloves one by one into running blender or food processor to thoroughly chop. Add oil, vinegar and spices; cover and process until very smooth.
- Pour marinade over fish and marinate 2 to 4 hours.
- Remove fish from marinade and discard marinade. Grill fish 5 to 8 minutes on each side.
Adapted from Mexican Everyday, by Rick Bayless (W. W. Norton & Company, 2005).