Swiss Steak Italiano
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3/4cup all purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2pounds cube steak, cut into serving size pieces
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 1pound fresh mushroom, chopped
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1large green pepper, chopped
- 28ounces spaghetti sauce
- 14.5ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4cup dry red wine
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a shallow plate. Dredge cube steak portions in flour and brown in oil in a 12" non-stick skillet. When browned on both sides, transfer to a plate and set aside. In same pan, cook the mushrooms, onion and green pepper for 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms start to give off their liquid. Add the spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and red wine to pan. Mix well and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup of sauce in bottom of 4-6 quart crockpot. add a layer of meat and repeat layers until all ingredients are used. Cover and set crock pot on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with your favorite pasta.