Swiss Chard with Orange Gremolata
- Yield: 4 servings
- Orange gremolata:
- 3large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 2tablespoons julienned orange zest
- 1teaspoon julienned lemon zest
- Swiss chard
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4cup chicken broth
- 2tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1pound Swiss chard, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the gremolata:
- Mix the garlic, parsley, orange zest and lemon zest in a bowl.
To prepare the Swiss chard:
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the gremolata and stir the remaining gremolata into the butter mixture. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth, orange juice concentrate and lemon juice and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and stir in the Swiss chard. Cook, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Toss the Swiss chard mixture and spoon into a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the reserved 1 tablespoon gremolata.
NOTE: For variety, substitute green beans, brussels sprouts, broccoli, or your favorite vegetable for the Swiss chard.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., California Mosaic, A Cookbook Celebrating Cultures and Cuisine (The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc. 2008)