Sweet Walnut Dessert Soup
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 45 mins
This sweet, silky-textured warm dessert is rich and creamy.
- 2 cups California walnuts, shelled, raw
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 4 ounces brown cane sugar or yellow rock sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the walnuts and boil uncovered for 1 minute. Drain well and spread walnuts on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place cooled walnuts and 1/2 cup of cold water in a food processor or blender and process untilalmost a smooth paste; add another 1/2 cup of water and process until smooth
- In a 2 quart saucepan, whisk rice flour and 1 cup of water. Add walnut purée and 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) of cold water. Heat over medium-high heat while whisking frequently until it comes to a boil (about 10 minutes). Add the brown cane sugar and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.
Tips: The consistency should be of a light cream soup; if it is too thick; whisk in 1/2 cup (125 mL) more water. Cinnamon may be added for a sweet, earthy aroma. Top with walnut halves.