Sweet Stuffed Sicilian Pork Loin
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 70 minutes
- 3/4cup chopped cooked spinach
- 1/4pound chopped prosciutto
- 1cup golden California raisins
- 4tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 4tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 3/4cup shredded provolone
- 2teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2pounds center cut pork loin, butterflied
- 1cup Marsala wine
- 1/2cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine spinach, prosciutto, raisins, breadcrumbs, pine nuts, provolone, 1 teaspoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Pound pork loin to an even thickness, about ½-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides of meat with remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread spinach mixture over meat. Roll up, from short end, and tie with kitchen string.
- Heat a large ovenproof pan over high heat and add remaining oil. Cook meat, turning, until outside is browned.
- Place pan in oven and cook 1 hour, or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140F. Remove pan from oven, place pork on a cutting board, and cut off string. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- While meat is resting, prepare sauce. Remove excess fat from roasting pan, leaving behind the brown bits. Place pan on burner over high heat and add Marsala and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, scraping pan with a spoon to loosen brown bits. Cook until reduced by half. Remove from heat and swirl in butter. Spoon sauce over the sliced pork to serve.
Recipe by Felice Bogus, Raleigh, N.C.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 539
- Fat 22g
- Cholesterol 165mg
- Sodium 1279mg
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 2.5g
- Protein 54g