Carribean Chicken on Coconut Rice
- Yield: servings
- 1 1/2-- lb chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2teaspoons thyme
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon allspice
- 2teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2-- 1 teaspoon cayenne to taste
- 1/4teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1teaspoon coriander
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2cups white jasmine rice
- 1 1/2cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2cups water
- 1/2cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2cup chopped cilantro
- -- I small red onion, diced
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1-- red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-- yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-- 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-- 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 1-- mango, diced
- 1-- cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2cup slivered almonds.
Combine first 11 ingredients in a gallon sized plastic bag. Shake to coat chicken pieces with the spice mixture. Set aside for 30 min.
In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, and liquid is absorbed, about 20 – 30 min.
Fluff with a fork and stir in basil, cilantro and onion. Set aside to cool.
Saute chicken in two tbsp olive oil until chicken is cooked through, about 10 min.
Add red and yellow bell pepper and remove from heat. Stir in black beans and pineapple.
To serve line a platter with curly lettuce leaves if desired. Spoon rice mixture onto platter, top with chicken and black bean mixture, sprinkle with mango, diced cucumber and slivered almonds.
Serve warm or cold.