Carribean Chicken on Coconut Rice
- Yield servings
- 1 1/2 -- lb chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 -- 1 teaspoon cayenne to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- -- I small red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -- red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -- yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -- 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 -- 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 1 -- mango, diced
- 1 -- cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds.
Combine first 11 ingredients in a gallon sized plastic bag. Shake to coat chicken pieces with the spice mixture. Set aside for 30 min.
In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, and liquid is absorbed, about 20 – 30 min.
Fluff with a fork and stir in basil, cilantro and onion. Set aside to cool.
Saute chicken in two tbsp olive oil until chicken is cooked through, about 10 min.
Add red and yellow bell pepper and remove from heat. Stir in black beans and pineapple.
To serve line a platter with curly lettuce leaves if desired. Spoon rice mixture onto platter, top with chicken and black bean mixture, sprinkle with mango, diced cucumber and slivered almonds.
Serve warm or cold.