Sweet, Spicy, and Smoky Spareribs
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5pounds spareribs, cut into 4-rib slab
- 1tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 2teaspoons dried oregano
- 2teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1teaspoon ground chipotle chiles OR chili powder
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2cup honey, heated until liquid
- Mix paprika, salt, oregano, cumin, chipotle OR chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder together in small bowl. Sprinkle generously over both sides of ribs. Let stand at room temperature while preparing grill.
- Prepare outdoor grill for indirect medium-hot grilling. For a gas grill, remove cooking grates. Preheat grill on High. Turn 1 burner off. Place disposable aluminum foil pan over off burner and add 2 cups water to pan. Replace grates. Adjust heat to 350F. For a charcoal grill, place disposable aluminum foil pan on 1 side of charcoal grate. Build fire on opposite side, and let burn until coals are coated with white ash. Spread coals in grill opposite pan and let burn 15-20 minutes. Add 2 cups water to pan. Position cooking grate in grill. Lightly oil cooking grate.
- Place ribs over foil pan and cover grill. Cook, adding water to pan as needed, until ribs are browned, fork-tender, and meat pulls away from end of bone, about 2 hours. (For charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to fire every 45 minutes to maintain heat.) During last 20 minutes, occasionally brush both sides of ribs with warm honey. Let stand 5 minutes, cut into ribs, and serve hot.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 740
- Fat 55g
- Saturated Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 185mg
- Sodium 1150mg
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 37g