Sweet Potatoes with Smoked Cheddar Cheese and Cider
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 4tablespoons olive oil
- 2large onions, thinly sliced
- 2pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2pound smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- -- Salt and pepper
- -- Nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1/2cups apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Oil a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining oil and saute the onion. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the gratin in the baking dish by using half of each ingredient. Start with half of the onion as a base layer, topped by half of the potatoes and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper, and nutmeg. Repeat the layers but withhold the final layer of cheese until later in the cooking process. Pour the cider over the entire top layer. If desired, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake, covered, until the potatoes are tender (about 45 minutes). Uncover and add the final layer of cheese, then continue baking until the cheese is melted.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Wishbone Press and Promotions Inc. Talk Turkey to Me (Glen Ellyn, Illinois, 2006).