Sweet Potato-Vegetable Soup with Turkey Meatballs
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 1 hour
Think of this as a variation of minestrone with sweet potatoes and meatballs.
- 3/4 pound ground lean turkey or lean beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 medium (1/2 pound) zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 cups green beans in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups small cubes, peeled sweet potato
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- To prepare meatballs, combine turkey, egg, parsley, breadcrumbs, cheese, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 18 meatballs. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add meatballs and cook until brown on all sides. Remove to a plate. Makes 18 meatballs.
- To prepare soup, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini; cook, mixing occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add green beans, sweet potato, tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 35 minutes.
- Add meatballs, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Ladle into soup plates and sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Makes 6 1/2 cups soup.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.