Sweet Potato Spread
- Yield 3 cups
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 55 mins
- 3 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini (ground sesame seeds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the sweet potatoes in a shallow roasting pan and cover with foil. Roast 15 minutes. Uncover and continue roasting until soft, about another 30 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, combine the carrots, onion, and 1/2 cup water in a medium nonstick skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until water evaporates and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the sweet potatoes, tahini, salt, curry powder, and cumin. Process until smooth. Gradually add enough remaining water to make a spreadable puree. Add carrot mixture and pulse until blended. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe by Laren and Ann Purcell.