Sweet Potato Salad with Apple and Avocado
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup raw hulled pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 medium red apple, peeled, cored, and diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, finely diced
- spinach or arugula, for serving (optional)
- Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes. Add corn, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender. Drain in colander and rinse under cold water to cool. Drain well.
- Toast pumpkin seeds in dry skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until seeds begin to pop. Transfer to plate, and cool.
- Combine apple, onion, cilantro, and lime juice in large bowl. Stir in sweet potatoes, corn, and oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in avocado and toasted pumpkin seeds just before serving.
*Some sweet potato varieties brown quickly once cut (like apples), so have a large bowl of water on hand to place cubes or slices in once they’re sliced. The water prevents browning.
From: Everything Vegan; Wiley 2010; reprinted with permission from the publisher.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 179
- Fat 9
- Saturated Fat 1
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 117
- Carbohydrate 23
- Fiber 4
- Sugars 8
- Protein 3