Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Butternut Squash Gratin
- Yield 8 servings
With all its creamy richness, this dish is just a little bit indulgent, but, oh, so worth it. All of the flavors combine to make this a dish worthy of a special occasion.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons quinoa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 3/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add shallot, garlic, chipotle chili, garlic and adobo sauce and cook for 3 minutes. Add 4 T quinoa flour and thyme and cook for to more minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in milk and whisk until well combined. Stir constantly for 3 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Add parmesan cheese and cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Carefully place diced sweet potatoes in pot and boil for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add squash and boil for 4 minutes. Drain.
- Spray olive oil in an 11 x 7 baking dish. Add potatoes, squash and cooked quinoa and stir to combine. Cover with sauce and top with Gruyere cheese.
- Bakes for 40 minutes. Preheat broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes, until top is golden brown.
Make it Vegan: Use vegan cheese and the non-dairy milk of your choice. (I like unsweetened almond milk).
Make it Cleaner: Use nonfat milk, low-fat parmesan and cut the Gruyere in half.
Make it Gluten-Free: Hooray! This dish is gluten-free.
Make it Quick: This dish can be made through step 4 up to 24 hours in advance. Place in the oven cold and preheat oven. Bake for 50 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Wendy Polisi’s The Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2012).