Sweet Potato Quesadillas with Cilantro Pesto
- Yield: 8 servings
- Cilantro pesto:
- 2cups cilantro leaves
- 3/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6cloves garlic
- 1cup (4 ounces) grated asiago cheese
- Sweet potato quesadillas
- 1pound sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon coriander
- 1/2teaspoon star anise
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon butter, melted
- 1teaspoon butter
- 4ounces onion, julienned
- 3cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
For the pesto:
- Combine the cilantro, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic and asiago cheese in a blender. Process until smooth.
For the quesadillas:
- Combine the sweet potato slices, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, star anise, salt and melted butter in a large bowl and toss to coat the sweet potatoes.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator until cool.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the onion and saute until tender.
- Combine the baked sweet potatoes, onion and Monterey jack cheese in a bowl and mix well. Spoon the sweet potato mixture evenly over half of each tortilla.
- Fold each tortilla in half and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 37 degrees until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Place the quesadillas on a serving plate. Cut into wedges. Serve with the cilantro pesto.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota, Always Superb Recipes for Every Occasion (The Junior League of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota, 2003)