Sweet Potato Praline Pancakes
- Yield 16 servings
Make a batch of these fantastic pancakes, freeze and pop in microwave for quick breakfast. Serve with maple syrup and top with toasted pecans, if desired.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (Louisiana yams) or 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1 2/3 cups skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour (or combination)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
- In large bowl, mix together sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- In small bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients and pecans to sweet potato mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Heat large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat.
- Using 1/4 cup batter per pancake, cook pancakes 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Re-coat pan between pancakes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age (2010).