Sweet Potato Pie
- Yield 8 servings
A wonderful dessert that’s a perfect stand in for traditional pumpkin pie.
Cook the potatoes a day before making the filling if you wish.
- 6 to 7 medium sweet potatoes with skins on
- Salt, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can Coco Lopez creme de coconut, divided in half
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can evaporated milk (7-ounces)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted, melted butter
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust1
- 1 cup shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place potatoes in lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 40 to 45 minutes until very tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place half the Coco Lopez, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir to combine.
- When potatoes are cool, mash well and whisk into bowl with other ingredients to form a thick pudding. Pour sweet potato mixture into pie shell and bake in center of oven 45 minutes until set.