Sweet Potato Pie
- Yield 8 servings
A wonderful dessert that’s a perfect stand in for traditional pumpkin pie.
Cook the potatoes a day before making the filling if you wish.
- 6 to 7 medium sweet potatoes with skins on
- Salt, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can Coco Lopez creme de coconut, divided in half
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can evaporated milk (7-ounces)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted, melted butter
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust1
- 1 cup shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place potatoes in lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 40 to 45 minutes until very tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place half the Coco Lopez, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir to combine.
- When potatoes are cool, mash well and whisk into bowl with other ingredients to form a thick pudding. Pour sweet potato mixture into pie shell and bake in center of oven 45 minutes until set. Cool at room temperature about 30 minutes and drizzle remaining crme of coconut over top. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.