Sweet Potato Pecan Waffles with Praline Peaches
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1/2cup finely chopped toasted pecans, divided
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes or yams in light syrup, not drained
- 1/2cup 2% milk
- 2cups buttermilk waffle mix
- 2large eggs, separated
- 2 (15-ounce) cans light sliced peaches, or sliced peaches in juice, not drained
- 1tablespoon honey
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons chopped pecans and brown sugar. Stir until sugar melts and coats the nuts; be careful that they do not burn; set aside.
- Purée sweet potatoes with their liquid and milk in a blender until smooth; set aside.
- Preheat a non-stick waffle iron. Mix waffle mix, sweet-potato mixture and egg yolks in a large bowl until well combined. Stir in the remaining, uncooked pecans; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with a whisk until they hold a shape, and fold into the waffle batter; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain juice from peaches into a large skillet then set peaches aside. Stir honey into juice, and boil over high heat until lightly thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in peaches and reserved sugar-glazed pecans; keep warm.
- Lightly coat the interior of the preheated waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 of batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until puffed, brown and crisp, according to manufacturer’s directions. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with peach topping.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 420mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 5g