Sweet Potato-Pecan Burgers with Caramelized Onions
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 6 leaves Boston lettuce
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) 100% whole-wheat or whole-grain buns
- 6 tablespoons chili sauce
- To prepare onions, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion to pan; sauté 12 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and 1⁄8 teaspoon salt; cook 30 seconds or until vinegar is absorbed. Remove onion mixture from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- To prepare burgers, place potato in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place potato, chopped onion mixture, oats, cumin, 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until smooth. Place potato mixture in a bowl; stir in nuts. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1⁄2-inch thick patty.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Place 1 lettuce leaf on bottom half of each bun; top each with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon chili sauce, about 3 tablespoons onion mixture, and top halves of buns.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Cooking Light Way to Cook Grilling: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Grilling by Cooking Light (Oxmoor House).