Sweet Potato, Orange and Cranberry Muffins
- Yield 12 to 18 pieces
Sweet potatoes, cranberries and orange create the ultimate muffin.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed or 1 cup fresh Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes), cooked and mashed
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven 400F.
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, oil, orange juice, egg and orange rind. Add orange juice mixture and yogurt to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined or coated muffin tins, filling about 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.