Sweet Potato Hash with Baked Eggs
- Yield: servings
- 2 to 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice (about 2 2/3 cups or 13 ounces)
- 1 1/3cups minced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4teaspoon salt, divided
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 3tablespoons minced parsley or cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and onions and cook about 5 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat, add garlic and jalapeno pepper, and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Make 4 evenly spaced, slight depressions in the hash and break an egg into each one. Place pan in the oven and bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked. Remove, season eggs with remaining salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley. Serves 4.
Recipe adapted with permission from Morning Food: Breakfasts, Brunches, & More for Savoring the Best Part of the Day by Margaret Fox and John Bear. (Ten Speed Press, 2006) http://www.tenspeed.com