Sweet Potato Cornmeal Biscuits
- Yield 16 servings
An unbeatable biscuit with crispy outside and moist slightly sweet center is made with a non-intimidating- simply pat into a square, cut and bake dough.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (Louisiana yams) drained and mashed or 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven 400F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Butter should be cut with pastry blender or fork and combined with the flour mixture to make a course meal.
- Stir in sweet potato, milk and honey.
- Kneed dough 5 times on a floured surface.
- Pat dough into a square, about 9 inches and cut into 16 biscuit squares.
- Bake biscuits 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.