Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
- Yield 10 servings
This sweet potato dish has a sweet, rich flavor.
- 6 to medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 -- egg whites, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon lite salt
- -- Cinnamon to taste
- -- Butter sprinkles, to taste
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon butter sprinkles
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- Combine the sweet potatoes with enough water to cover the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil until tender; drain. Peel the sweet potatoes and place in a bowl. Mash until smooth. Add the skim milk, sugar, applesauce, egg whites, lite salt, cinnamon and butter sprinkles to taste and mix well; the mixture should be the consistency of custard.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into a 9×11-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the brown sugar, flour and 1 tablespoon butter sprinkles in a bowl. Stir in the pecans and cereal. Spoon the brown sugar mixture over the top. Bake at 350F for 1 hour. You may substitute an equivalent amount of artificial sweetner for the sugar.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Favorite Recipes of Family and Friends of LSU AgCenter’s Serving Louisiana (LSU Agricultural Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 2002).