Sweet Potato Casserole with Meringue Topping
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3 1/2pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 1/3cup honey
- 1large egg
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1large egg white
- 1/4teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4cup superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large steamer basket fitted over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer sweet potatoes to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add honey, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whip using an electric mixer. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, using the electric mixer, beat together the egg white and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for about 10 seconds between each addition. Then continue to whip until stiff peaks are formed and the mixture is glossy and smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a pastry bag or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off, pipe 1-inch dollops on top of the casserole. Bake until the meringue is browned on top and the casserole is warmed through, 40 to 45 minutes.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from Comfort Food Fixby Ellie Krieger (Wiley Hardcover, $29.99.)