Sweet Potato, Apple and Walnut Muffins
- Yield 18 servings
The sweet potatoes in these muffins offer a healthy dose of beta-carotene.
The tartness of apples and raisins combined with the sweetness of yams and flavorful walnuts create a moist muffin that will quickly become one of your favorites.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 3/4 cups chopped peeled baking apples
- 1/3 cup chopped walnu7ts
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside. In another bowl, mix together the oil, brown sugar, egg, egg white, mashed yams and milk until well mixed. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add yam mixture, stirring until moistened. Do not overmix. Fold in the apples, walnuts and raisins.
- Spoon the batter into paper lined or coated muffin tins, filling about three-fourths full. Bake 20 to 25 mintues or until done.