Sweet Potato-Andouille Soup
- Yield 8 servings
A creamy sweet potato soup sure to warm you up.
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 ounces Grand Marnier
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Brown the sausage in a large stockpot. Add the onions and sweat over medium low heat until translucent but not browned. Add the Grand Marnier and reduce until almost dry. Add the sweet potatoes and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the honey, cayenne, cinnamon, and bay leaf. In a blender or with an immersion blender, blend the soup mixture until smooth. Return the soup to the stockpot, add the milk, and heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chris Chamberlain’s The Southern Foodie: 100 Places to Eat in the South (Thomas Nelson, 2012)