Sweet Potato and Cumin Soup with Feta Yogurt
- Yield: servings
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)
- pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 2 1/4pound sweet potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 5cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt
- 3ounces feta, crumbled
- 5 1/2ounces Greek yogurt
- 2tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (optional), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until soft and glossy, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook for a minute longer.
- Add the sweet potato, and continue to cook for another couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the stock and season with salt, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, by which time the potato should be very tender.
- Purée the soup in batches in the blender. Return it to the saucepan and season with a little more salt, if necessary.
- Combine the feta and yogurt in a bowl and dollop a spoonful on top of each bowl of soup. Scatter a teaspoon of chopped sun-dried tomatoes on top, if using.
Recipe from Soup, Glorious Soup by Annie Bell (Kyle Books; 2011)