Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder with Chicken
- Yield 15 servings
A delicious hearty soup to serve during the fall or winter months.
- 6 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes; diced and blanched
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Place the bacon in a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until crisp-cooked. Drain off most of the drippings. Add the onion, butter, basil and thyme to the remaining drippings. Cook until the onion is soft. Add the flour and mix well. Stir in the corn, bell pepper and sweet potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the water, chicken broth and chicken. Bring to a boil. Add the milk, salt and pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in the parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from A Junior League of Sagina Valley’s Between the Lakes (Junior League of Saginaw Valley, Saginaw, Michigan, 2005).