Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes
- Yield: 20 pieces
- 2medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3cup brown sugar
- 2tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/3cup chopped walnuts
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground cloves
- Vegetable or canola oil, for cooking
- Place potatoes in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 8 minutes until tender. Drain and mash in a bowl. Add the apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, sour cream, egg, breacrumbs, walnuts, cinnamon and cloves. Stir until smooth and thick. Mixture should hold together well on the end of a spoon.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop dipped in water, scoop up sweet potato mixture and place dollops on a large plate or pan sprayed lightly with oil. Flatten the mounds slightly.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet brushed with vegetable oil or canola oil over medium-high heat. Add a few of the sweet potato patties at a time, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Cook the latkes 3 to 4 minutes on one side until browned. Turn and brown on the second side. Repeat until all batter is cooked.