Sweet Potato and Andouille Soup
- Yield 12 servings
Serve this delicious soup with thick slices of cornbread or hush puppies.
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 quarts (12 cups) chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- Place the whole unpeeled sweet potatoes in a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until easily pierced with a knife and the sugars begin to be released. Cool, peel and chop the sweet potatoes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepot and add the sausage. Cook until the sausage is brown.
- Add the celery and onion and saute for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the flavors blend.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor.
- Return to the saucepot and stir in the molasses, kosher salt and white pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Dickie Brennan & Co., Dickie Brennan’s Palace Cafe, the Flavor of New Orleans (Dickie Brennan & Co., 2002)