Chinese Sweet Chile Chicken Thighs
- Yield: 2 servings
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 14ounces chicken thighs (approx. 4 thighs)
- 1 1/4 cups sweet chile sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 small mixed peppers (red, yellow, and green), finely sliced
- Add the oil to a hot wok. Add the onion and stir-fry over high heat for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken thighs over and cook for another 5–7 minutes on the other side until almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile, pour the sweet chile sauce into a saucepan and simmer for 5–7 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour the chicken stock into the wok with the chicken thighs and bring to a boil. Add the sliced peppers and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Before serving, check that the chicken thighs are fully cooked by poking a knife into the thickest part of the chicken; the juices should run clear.
- To serve, spoon the peppers onto a plate, arrange the thighs on top, and spoon on the warm sweet chile sauce.
Tip: Chicken thigh meat has a deeper flavor than breast meat that complements the sweet chile perfectly. However, you can also use chicken breasts for this recipe if you wish.
Recipe from Sweet Mandarin Cookbook by Helen and Lisa Tse (Kyle books, 2015).