- 1small sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ears of sweet corn, husk and silk removed and cut from the cob
- 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2cups chicken broth
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 4ounces reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature so it melts well)
- 1/3cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (Cabot New York Vintage is my favorite.)
- Heat a large sauce pan or dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion, sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn and chopped jalapeños, sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low, let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and add cream cheese and cheddar, stir well. Let simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions if desired.
This recipe from Honest Cooking was reprinted with permission. It originally appeared as Sweet Corn Chowder at Maebells.