Sweet and Spicy Jerk Chicken
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
- Jerk Marinade
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup California golden raisins; for garnish
- Tropical fruit slices; for garnish
- Marinate Chicken: Prepare 1 day in advance. In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients; add chicken and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Sauce: Can be prepared 1 day in advance. Lightly coat the bowl and blade of a food processor with oil or nonstick cooking spray and purée the raisins to make 1/4 cup raisin paste. (The paste will be very sticky). Add remaining sauce ingredients except the golden raisins and process until completely smooth. Transfer sauce to storage container; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To Assemble: In a small saucepan, heat sauce. Grill or broil chicken until cooked through and arrange on a serving plate. Spoon some sauce over each piece and sprinkle with golden raisins. Garnish with slices of tropical fruit and serve with rice.
Note: Commercially prepared California raisins paste is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers. To make your own raisin paste, grind or process in a food processor whole California raisins equal to twice the amount of raisin paste required (1/2 cup natural raisins) until very finely chopped and smooth.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board