Sweet and Spicy Chili
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 120 mins
An unbelievable meld of flavors with beef, tomato, mushrooms, olives, beans and California raisins.
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (32-ounce) whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) tomato sauce
- 2 cans cans (8 ounces each) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole beef bouillion cubes
- 3 cups California raisins
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 cans (15.5-ounce) kidney beans, drained
- Brown ground beef, onions and garlic powder in large stockpot. Drain excess fat, if necessary. Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans, including bay leaf and cloves in a tea basket or cheesecloth for easy removal.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in kidney beans and heat through.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves; adjust seasonings and serve in crocks or bowls.